UPDATED GUIDANCE FOR SCHOOLS BASED ON REVISED CDC GUIDELINES
Isolation is required for someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, regardless of vaccination status. This person is required to:
- Stay home for at least 5 days
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can leave your house (return to school).
- Continue to wear a mask around others through the 10th day of isolation.
If you have a fever, continue to stay home for 24 hours after the fever has resolved.
PROBABLE CLOSE CONTACT/QUARANTINE
An individual who has likely been within 3 feet for 15 cumulative minutes or longer within a 24-hour period during the infectious period of a person who has tested positive for COVID-19 is a probable close contact.
WHAT TO DO FOR QUARANTINE
- Stay home and away from other people for at least 5 days after your last contact with a person who has COVID-19.
- Wear a well-fitting mask through the 10th day after contact with a person who has COVID-19. (If you are unable to wear a mask, continue to quarantine for 10 days.)
- Monitor for symptoms, and, if symptoms occur, self-isolate and get tested.
Remember, Fayetteville Public Schools offers a free meal option for all children 0-18 years of age, even during quarantine. Click here for more information.
WHO SHOULD QUARANTINE
If you are considered a probable close contact with someone with COVID-19, you should quarantine if you are in one of the following groups:
- You are ages 18 or older and completed the primary series of recommended vaccine but have not received a recommended booster shot when eligible.
- You are age 18 or older and received the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine (completing the primary series) over 2 months ago and have not received the recommended booster dose.
- You are not vaccinated or have not completed a primary vaccine series.
WHO DOES NOT NEED TO QUARANTINE
If you came into close contact with someone with COVID-19 and you are in one of the following groups, you do not need to quarantine:
- You are ages 18 and older and have received all recommended vaccine doses, including booster and additional primary shots for some immunocompromised people.
- You are ages 5-17 years and completed the primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.
- You had confirmed COVID-19 within the last 90 days (PCR or Antigen Test)
OTHER EXCEPTIONS TO QUARANTINE REQUIREMENTS
- Individuals exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19 will not need to quarantine if the exposed individual has no symptoms and both the infected and exposed individual were consistently and correctly wearing a mask.
- If at least 70% of staff and students are fully vaccinated in a school, individuals in the school (not district) are not required to quarantine. (At this time, FPS has no school that meets this criterion.)
An individual who has completed at least 5 full days of at-home isolation or quarantine may participate in activities provided they are able to properly mask during that activity for the remainder of the 10-day isolation or quarantine period. (Interscholastic athletic activities may be subject to additional health and safety protocols adopted by the Arkansas Activities Association.)
If someone is unable to wear a mask for any reason, including a medical exemption, you should complete a full 10-day quarantine/isolation post-exposure.
Thank you for your continued partnership in the health and well-being of our students, staff, and the community. Please check our website for updates and more information.